BRIEFING ON THE WORKING OF LAW, PARLIAMENTARY AFFAIRS
& HUMAN RIGHTS DEPARTMENT
The Law Department is an advisory department for all the Departments of
Government of Sindh. The main functions of the Law Department are to defend
Government functionaries of the province of sindh in the cases field for and
against them before the lower as well as Superior Courts. It interprets the
laws, rules and regulations and tenders advices to all the Government
departments. It is also responsible for summoning and prorogation of the
Provincial Assembly and advises Assembly Secretariat in the parliamentary
affairs. All the drafts of legislation are to be vetted by the Law Department.
The Law Department has the following attached departments:-
1) OFFICE OF THE ADVOCATE GENERAL SINDH.
2) OFFICE OF THE SOLICITOR, GOVERNMENT OF SINDH.
3) OFFICE OF THE ADMINISTRATOR GENERAL, OFFICIAL TRUSTEE AND
Under the Sindh Government Rules of Business 1986, the following business
is assigned to the Law Department:-
1. Advice to Departments on all legal matters, including interpretation of laws,
rules and orders having the force of law.
2. Appointment of Administrator General, Official Trustee and the Official
3. Civil Law and Procedure.
4. Constitutional Legislation.
5. Codification and consolidation of laws and printing of Acts, Rules and Orders.
6. Conduct of Government Litigation:-
(a) representation in criminal cases;
(b) appeals and application for enhancement of sentences and convictions;
(c) defending civil suits against Government and public servants and filing civil
suits on behalf of Government.
7. Defence of pauper accused in Courts and fees to pleaders for such defiance.
8. Free supply of Bills, Acts, Ordinance to Government Departments, Official
9. Government Law Officers, Advocate General, Public Prosecutors,
Government Pleaders, Special Counsel, their appointment, transfer, leaves,fees
10. Law Colleges.
11. Matters relating to legal practitioners, including scale of fees.
12. Scrutiny and drafting of Bills Ordinance, Notifications, Rules, Regulations,
Statutory Orders and Bye-laws
13. Scrutiny of non-official bills.
14. High Court.
15. Civil Courts.
16. Matters connected with recruitment terms and conditions and powers of
Judicial Officers, including District & Sessions Judges, Additional District &
Sessions Judges, Special Judges and Civil Judges.
17. Appointment and terms and conditions of Parliamentary Secretaries.
18. Services matter except those entrusted to services, General Administration
and Coordination Department.
19. Dealing with complaints and allegation of human rights violations and
collection of information and reports on such complaints from other
departments or agencies.
20. Referring and recommending investigation and enquiries in respect of any
incident of violation of human rights.
21. Co-ordination of activities of Departments in respect of human rights.